The SHB Law Library functions as a resource center designed to meet the firm’s varied information needs. One of the nation's largest private legal resource centers, the firm's main library in Kansas City is staffed by twelve librarians, two medical information professionals and nine support staff. SHB also has city office libraries located in Houston; Washington, D.C.; San Francisco; Miami; Tampa; Orange County (Irvine); and London. This extensive information network allows SHB attorneys to access resources critical to successful litigation outcomes in a timely and reliable fashion.
The main SHB library contains over 8,000 titles, including an extensive web-based collection. The medical library is an active participant in a regional health science library network, greatly expanding our research capabilities. The legal collection focuses on litigation with an emphasis on products liability, antitrust, employment law, corporation law, tax, intellectual property, construction law, environmental and international law. The SHB library system also harnesses leading industry technology to deliver services that include:
- conducting legal, business, medical and technical research;
- advising attorneys on cost-effective research techniques;
- cite checking attorney-prepared memos and briefs;
- developing, acquiring and managing a comprehensive research collection for attorney and staff use among all offices;
- providing current awareness information about clients, developing legal issues, and high profile litigation;
- providing an extensive docket monitoring service;
- coordinating interlibrary loan and document delivery requests;
- managing, training and promoting Knowledge Management initiatives;
- managing content for the firm's intranet;
- developing and maintaining practice-related databases to track national developments in specific types of legal actions.
In addition, SHB libraries offer access to Westlaw, Lexis-Nexis and other premier databases to ensure that clients benefit from the most current legal analysis and case information available.